This is a very simple Bulgarian salad, yet it tastes really nice. It’s great as a side dish with roast meat or pasta. It always reminds me of spring, as these are the first naturally grown seasonal vegetables you can buy.
- 4 little gem lettuce (or 2 romano lettuce)
- 1 small bunch of spring onion
- 5 radishes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cider vinegar and oil to taste
Wash and clean the lettuce and onion, and cut into small pieces. Get rid of the ends of the radishes and cut into thin slices. Dress with the oil and vinegar and salt and pepper to taste, stir well and it’s ready to serve.
A few tips and tricks:
- I always get rid of the white bits on the lettuce as they can be a bit bitter.
- This type of salad can also be served with yoghurt on top or you can add cucumber and boiled eggs.
- Vinegar really lifts this salad up, I have tried with lemon but it’s just not the same.
- I use plain vegetable oil for the salad as I don’t want the flavour of olive oil to overtake everything else.
I hope you enjoy my recipe, please let me know what you think!