I’ve had this pasta maker in the cupboard for a few months now and never dared to use it. Now I think wow this is so easy, I will not be buying pasta ever again 😉
Ingredients for 12 cannelloni/ lasagna sheets
- 1 cup of plain flour plus a bit more for dusting
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of green pesto (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
You will also need a pasta making machine. 😉
Sift the flour and mix all ingredients in a bowl. Knead it a little until it forms a nice dough like texture. It looks very similar to short crust pastry at this point.
Divide the dough into four pieces, take the first piece, flatten it as much as you can in your hands and put it through the pasta machine on the thickest setting. Repeat until you get a nice even sheet. Repeat the process while gradually thinning the sheet on the machine setting until you get to the thinnest point. You might want to dust the pasta sheets with a bit of flour so it’s easier to handle.
Repeat the process for the rest of the dough and lay all pasta sheets flat on a flour dusted surface. Since I used the pasta for cannelloni, I aimed at forming 12 20 cm squares. You can cut the shape roughly and amend the pasta and put it through the machine until you are happy with it. If it tears you can just “glue” it back on and run it through the machine.
Once you’ve done all the pasta sheets ready, boil 2-3 litres of water in a large pot. Add salt and pepper and optional pesto or any other herbs you want to the water. Prepare a large bowl of cold water on the side.
Put the sheets in the water, 4 at a time for 2-3 minutes until they are slightly cooked. They change in texture and colour and become a little slimy. Once the sheets are cooked use a draining spoon and put them in the bowl with cold water. Repeat for all pasta sheets.
Your pasta sheets are now ready.
A few tips and tricks:
- This amount makes 12 cannelloni or lasagna sheets, or enough pasta shapes for 2 people. For more pasta just double the ingredients.
- Try and work quick as the pasta dries out and it’s harder to handle.
- Don’t worry if you get different shapes and sizes, it’s meant to look rustic.
- If you want to make any other form of pasta you can still use this basic recipe.
- I’ve read that you can use equal amounts of semolina and flour in the dough, but I haven’t tried it yet.
I hope you enjoy my recipe, please let me know what you think!